One of the big successes of the RB Hull Marathon is our team of Marathon Makers. These are our volunteers who help stage the event
and offer incredible support to the runners as well as having a great time themselves.
Interested in getting involved as a volunteer for 2017? Read on to find out more about what's involved and how to sign up.
No experience necessary, training provided.
There are a number of different roles, as outlined below:
- Race Marshal - Directing runners and traffic in the correct zones, and liaising with the public.
- Drivers/cyclists - We will need drivers for race vehicles and cyclists as part of the convoy.
- Site Set Up - We will need people to help set up and take down the Event HQ before and after the event.
- Signs - Putting up and taking in signs at relevant places.
- Helpdesk - answer queries, give directions and help anyone on the day of the event.
- Water Station Marshals - People to assist giving runners water and other refreshments.
- Team Leaders - those who help oversee a team of between 5 and 25 people on the day.
The benefits include:
- Satisfaction of helping thousands of runners achieve their dreams as well as helping deliver a great event for the city
- Inclusion on RB Hull Marathon emailing and communications listings
- Full training given
In return for the benefits we would expect the following from our Marathon Makers:
- Contactable via email - We will need to make easy and efficient contact with groups of Marathon Makers.
Email will be essential to this as we will be sending your timings and instructions via email.
- Attendance of a pre event briefing meeting - At this meeting you will receive some training, instructions and general information
about the event. This will be approx 1-1 1/4 hrs (Team Leaders a longer session).
- Duty on the Day - Marathon Makers can be expected to be available from 3 to 10 hours depending on role and location and your
availability. Your role will be allocated nearer the event, but if you've any preferences or skills that may help us, please let us know.
Interested? Simply complete the sign up form. If you volunteered in 2016 there is no need to do anything as we will be in touch (however, if any details have changed then get in touch.
We will send you an acknowledgement within 48 hours - please check your junk/spam folder) You'll start receiving the monthly E-news which will keep you informed of what happens next and when.
COMMENTS FROM MARATHON MAKERS AND RUNNERS IN 2016
"Well what can I say...it was an honour and a privilege to be accepted as a Race Angel. From the minute to entering the docks and getting our briefing and meeting up with the other race angels, to then supporting all the runners was just amazing. I've never clapped and cheered so much and to see them carry on with a smile on their face made it all the worthwhile. I even got a cheeky kiss off one of the runners ! All in all a fab day. Can't wait for next year."
"Thank you for a great experience!"
"The marshals were fantastic, and there were loads of them... all very helpful and encouraging."